Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Thank you for the music!!

This post and my share of the song below probably seems quite random right now. But, before you press the "X" in the corner of your browser and move on to better things, try reading just a little bit more. 

Thank You for the Music by ABBA on Grooveshark

Here is the reason I am sharing this lovely song from ABBA: This year for Christmas my younger sister, Alexis, received an iPod and she asked me to do the honors of loading music on to it for her. As I was going through the 8,224 songs in my iTunes library and  was asking her what music she would like, I began to be quite impressed with her knowledge of many artists and songs. I was also pleased to find out that her favorite songs weren't from artists like Justin Bieber or Selena Gomez, but Billy Joel, Chicago, Duran Duran, The Beatles, Nat King Cole, and Dean Martin. As I sat there, marveling at her cute little face and her excellent taste in music, I began to mourn for all those in the world who only know the mainstream garbage that is played on the radio. Okay, that may be a little harsh. There are some excellent songs that get played on the radio regularly. However, those that only listen to what the radio gives them, they're missing out on some quality music. Seriously. And, I think that's sad. I can honestly say that my quality of life would be greatly decreased if I had never heard some of the songs that I have. When I was younger, my Dad tried to raise me well when it came to music. So, every Christmas for a while, he would make me a CD with music that honestly ranged from Luciano Pavarotti to Enrique Iglesias. And I am so glad that he did. So, this week (except for the days I am at my family reunion) and maybe next week too (depending on how busy my first week back to school it), I am going to share a song every day, all from different bands/artists. I want to share some of the joy that I have gotten from clicking "shuffle" in my iTunes library or just letting Pandora loose with one of my 42 stations. Be prepared to fall in love with some quality tunes over the next week!! 

Also, a little side-note, if you really want to be instructed on quality music, you should talk to Jeremy Sherman. What a man. And, a man with an awesome playlist!

No comments: