Saturday, December 31, 2011

Looking back on 2011

I apologize for the length of this post but the subject kind of necessitates it being so...

1. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions for 2011? And, will you make more for this year?
All that I can really say on this matter is that I could have done better than I did... But I improved at least a little bit. And in the end, that's all that matters. I am so excited about my resolutions for this year! Instead of dreading all of the work that I've got to do, I'm trying to focus on my possible end-result. At the end of this year, I'm going to happier, wiser, and super fit! Bring it on!

2. What did you do in 2011 that you've never done before?
I'm no longer VL. Enough said...

3. What's something crazy you did this year?
I jumped off of a bridge into a river. So fun! That was the first crazy thing that my awesome roommate Rachel got me to do this year. It honestly took me twenty minutes to work up the courage. But, oh boy was it worth it!


4. What is something you cried about this year?
Leaving my best friend in Provo while I moved to Rexburg.

5. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I don't think I really had any serious illnesses this year... I never really do. But my lack of sleep during school definitely made me more susceptible to colds. And, I did suffer a partially-torn Achilles tendon, Patellar Tendinitis, and stress fractures in both my feet and my right shin. Actually, the shin might have been last year... I'm losing track.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you didn't have in 2011?
A six-pack. It's going to happen!

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched on your memory forever and why?
Obviously, May 26th, the day of my graduation from Timpview High School will never be forgotten. What a crazy/awesome/sad/exciting day! And, June 20th, I went on an awesome trip to Goblin Valley with all of my best friends! And, September 7th. The day that I moved away from home.


8. What was your biggest achievement this year?
I finished my first semester of college with 17 credits alive and with passing grades! For a while, I didn't think I could. Learning to balance everything in my life was a lot harder than I anticipated. Between classes, studying, cooking, cleaning, partying, and sleeping, I had a lot to figure out. Let's just say if one category suffered the most, it was sleeping. I didn't do very much of that this semester... Maybe one of my resolutions for this New Year should be to get more sleep...

9. What was your biggest failure?
My biggest failure this year was probably my grades... Like I said, I passed all of my classes. But I think that if I had partied a little less and slept a lot more, I could have done a lot better.

10. What is one adventure you had this year?
My biggest adventure this year will probably end up being one of the biggest adventures of my life. I packed up my room, moved 289 miles away from my family, and started my first semester of college at Brigham Young University Idaho.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
Tough question... Right now, I'm just thinking of my new winter coat because it's sitting right in front of me. But, it is pretty awesome. I decided that I better invest in something like that considering I live in Rexburg now.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Tuition and rent. No doubt about it. But, it's been totally worth it!

13. What did you get really excited about?
The midnight showing of the last-ever Harry Potter movie. The Deathly Hallows part 2. I dressed up, waited in line for 8 hours, and cried when it was over. The whole burrito!


14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO. It definitely wasn't my favorite song of the year. But, it will for sure remind me of 2011 and all my party-rockin' with dear Steph Tidwell and all my other awesome friends!

15. Compared to this time last year are you:
Happier or sadder? Happier for sure! Though I've had a few sad things happen and occasionally give in to my pessimistic tendencies, I've really tried to be a more optimistic person. And it's been an awesome year!
Thinner or fatter? It depends on how you look at it... I weigh less. But, in my eyes, I look like I weigh more. Sticking with my optimistic attitude here, we'll say thinner!
Richer or poorer? Definitely poorer. I moved away from my parents and their pay-checks and all of my money is going towards school. But, I'm richer in wisdom! Haha

16. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Reading. I read so much over the summer and then I just kind of quit when school started.

17. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Complaining. I'm really bad at that. I can always find something to complain about. But, like I said before, I'm working on it.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
I spent Christmas at home with my family. It was an amazing Christmas and it was great to be home!

19. What was your favorite TV show?
I'll just tell you now. I stink at picking favorites. But, this year I really liked Doctor Who, Bones, Psych, and 24.

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Even though I didn't read as much as I wished, I read so many good books this year! One of my favorites was The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emma Orczy. I also loved Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and Elantris by Brandon Sandersen.

21. What was your favorite music from this year?
I sort of became obsessed with music this year. I loved discovering new songs and artists while still listening to my favorite oldies. My favorite artists from this year were Brenden James, Brandon Flowers, Fictionist (amazing live!), Foster the People, Sting, and Chicago. Really, I just love music all together! I even learned to like a few rap songs...

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 obviously. I also loved Water for Elephants. The Muppets Movie was also fantastic. My dad's side of the family all went to see it together at Thanksgiving and we were rolling in laughter the whole time. Also, it has a pretty great soundtrack.

23. What did you do on your birthday? How old were you?
This birthday (my 18th) was pretty fantastic! I started the day by going horse-back riding with Steph, Jacob, and Matthew and ended it with the sweetest and most amazing surprise party.

24. What was one of your favorite memories from this year?
One of my favorite things to do this past year (which brought on my favorite memories) was horse-back riding with my BFF Steph. Seriously. She's such a doll. And, riding on the back of one of the most beautiful animals in the middle of gorgeous mountains and meadows with her is quite fantastic. I adore her. And my horse.


25. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I'm not really sure... I've felt like it's been a pretty good year... Maybe more sleep??

26. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Haha, I don't really have a concept of personal fashion.

27. What kept you sane?
My best friend.

28. What is a valuable life-lesson you learned in 2011?
Sometimes, you have to just let things go. Nobody is perfect. And, at the end of the day, most of your mistakes don't matter that much anyways. So, just forgive yourself, forget it, and do better tomorrow!

No comments: