So many things have happened in the last few weeks I could never recount everything. But, by far my favorite thing that has happened is that my family's very good friends from South Africa came to visit! They came to the United States for their son's wedding and we got to spend a little time with them while they were here and I am so glad that we did! They are really my favorite people in the world! You're probably curious as to how my family has such good friends that live half-way around the world... When my Dad was nineteen, he served a two year mission for our church in South Africa and he met a family that he became very close with while he was there and has kept in touch with ever since. He and my Mom even named me after one of their daughters. From the time that I was young, I dreamt of meeting Bronwen and my parents have both been promising since the day that I was born that we would someday visit. As of now, that hasn't yet come true. I did meet her and her entire family when I was three years old when they came to the U.S. to visit but I don't remember it well. Even though I never really knew Bronwen, I always dreamt of really meeting her and that I would grow up to be just like her. After spending time with her all last week, I still feel exactly the same! She is seriously incredible as is her entire family and I hope that someday I can be half as amazing as they are. Cora and Jeff are possibly the sweetest and most down-to-earth people that I have ever met. I love Bronwen and her family so much and already miss them like crazy! They are all so amazing. After seeing them all last week and realizing how much I really love them, I have decided to finally make this dream of visiting them in South Africa a reality. I am determined to make it happen and have already been researching everything so I truly can. I am not going to let anything get in the way. I am working so hard to make this trip possible and am really quite excited! I even started another blog to document my travels while I'm there (and the preparations before). I know that it's a tad early for that since I'm not going until next year but I am too excited to contain it and I needed an outlet. Even though it's a year away, I've got something to look forward to!
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Thursday, May 10, 2012
These are my thoughts on life. Rhode's rolls commercials say it perfect: "It's the simple things that make life better..."
1. Tell a random stranger hello.
2. Have a dance party at least once a day.
3. Message/text someone a dumb (yet clean) joke.
4. Listen to love songs (even if you're not in love).
5. Belt a good song when it comes on the radio with the windows rolled down.
6. Draw with sidewalk chalk.
7. Dance in the rain.
8. Eat Lunchables.
9. Laugh so hard that you cry.
10. Ride a horse.
11. Go running.
12. Be a flirt (unless you're married of course. In that case, only flirt with your spouse).
13. Buy a plant and care for it.
14. Ask for a sucker at the bank drive-through even when you're alone.
15. Make promises that you can keep.
16. Have a dog.
17. Buy a coloring book and crayons.
18. Color with them.
19. Write a letter. (a real one!)
20. Send someone flowers.
21. Call your mom and tell her you love her.
22. Rekindle an old friendship.
23. Find a new favorite band.
24. Go hiking.
25. If you go hiking, hike in the morning so you can watch the sunrise.
26. Never be afraid to say "I love you."
27. Don't be afraid to say "I know."
28. Go stargazing with someone you adore.
29. Whistle in the grocery store.
20. Call your grandparents on their anniversary.
21. Send out a Christmas card (with a photo) even if you're single.
22. Let yourself fall in love.
23. Go to a park and fly kites.
24. Simplify your life.
25. Remember that you can't be perfect and be happy anyways.
26. Have a firm handshake and look people in the eyes.
27. Smile at kids walking home from school.
28. Wave at semi-truck drivers to see if they'll honk.
29. Count your blessings.
30. Buy a Snickers without thought for the calories or sugar.
31. Sleep outside.
32. Wear a flower in your hair.
33. Have a water fight.
34. Go to Disneyland and take pictures with every character you see.
35. Bring a sick friend homemade chicken-noodle soup.
36. Donate money to a good cause.
37. Read a book.
38. Cry for a pain that's not your own.
39. Don't be afraid when you only feel safe in the arms of the one you love.
40. Google yourself and laugh at all the people that aren't really you.
41. Leave a big tip for your waitress even when she brings you the wrong food.
42. Love to love and not to be loved.
43. Go to a City Council meeting and make your voice heard.
44. Tell yourself that you're beautiful.
45. Believe it.
46. Tell someone else that they're beautiful.
47. Always return a borrowed car with a full tank of gas.
48. Pray always.
49. Volunteer at the hospital.
50. Love every minute of all of it!